Thursday, February 4, 2010

Welcome To The World, Knox!


Just when I thought maybe our little one was going to take his/her sweet time joining us, I was surprised with a night full of contractions, culminating in the birth of our third son, Knox Myron Sievers...

Sunday night around 10, I decided to head to bed. Pretty much as soon as I laid down, I had a contraction, but didn't think much of it because I'd been having them sporadically for weeks at that point. But about thirty minutes later, another one came. By midnight, I'd had maybe five or so and they were actually pretty uncomfortable. Around this time, the contractions became closer together - about ten minutes on average. This lasted about two hours. Then they started coming noticably stronger and a little quicker - probably seven minutes apart. I turned on our T.V. at 3:00 and watched some show about planning a wedding (not really much to choose from) and I just needed something to take my mind off of what was happening. By 4:00, the contractions moved to three to six minutes apart and I decided it was time to get ready to head to the hospital. I woke Brad up at 4:30 and then hopped into the shower (I had to shave!). Brad got up a little after that and we got ourselves set to go. I called the doctor to tell her we were on our way and then my mom so she could come watch Tate. We left the house around 5:30 and headed to the hospital. The car ride was pretty uncomfortable - I think I had three strong contractions in the short eight or nine minute ride.

We made our way to Labor and Delivery and got checked into room 10 (which is the same room where Tate was born!). At the first check I was five centimeters dilated. I had to wait a little for my epidural and finally got it at around 8:30. Once they checked me again, I was 7-8cm. A nurse came in a little over an hour later and said I was completely dilated and ready to push. So we sat, waiting for my doctor (she came on at 7:00am - WHOOOHOOO!), who affirmed what the nurse had said.

So at 10:00, we got ready to push! The first contraction came, and to spare you the details, the head came out. At this point, she asked, "Okay, last chance. What do you think? Does the face look like a boy or a girl?" I couldn't see it, but said I was sticking with boy. Once the second contraction came, my doctor pulled the baby the rest of the way out... and there HE was!!! Another sweet, perfect, baby boy!!! Knox had finally arrived!!!

Of course, we cried and just stared at him in wonder, as they placed him on my chest. I just kept telling him I loved him and I was so glad he was here. Brad was all smiles. It felt so good to see that look on his face again. It was a beautiful moment and I will treasure it always.

Here's the official info on the newest member of our family:
Knox Myron Sievers (middle name after Brad's grandfather)
Born on February 1. 2010
10:06 am
7 pounds 8 ounces
19 3/4 inches

We got home yesterday afternoon and we're all doing well. I feel like I have so much more I can share. So I'll be sure to try my best to post more as the week goes on.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts this week (and always).
Love to y'all,

Tracy

6 comments:

Marisa and John said...

Yeah!! I knew when you mentioned the thing about his kidneys that it was a boy! Tracy we are so excited for you guys. He is perfect. Oh, and I can't believe you didn't learn your lesson about taking showers during contractions! ;)

Kelly Jane said...

YAY! :-)

Ben and Abby said...

YAY! Congratulations!! I cannot WAIT to meet him!! :)

David and April Vinson said...

Hurray!! He's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Looks like I was wrong, it was a boy! Welcome little Knox!

nick&abby said...

so sweet! we can't wait to meet him!

Kim said...

Tracy and Brad,

Congratulations! Hope to see you soon! Knox would look great in a Hawkeye uniform :)

- Tony & Kim