Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Have We Done???

Sorry it's been so long since I've written... We've had a bit of a mess on our hands around our house for the last week or so, and there's no end in sight. Maybe I should start at the beginning...

So y'all know we moved in to our new house right before we headed off to Iowa. While we were gone, we had painters come and put new fresh paint on the walls to make the house more "ours." Once we got back, I began the arduous task of unpacking box after box after box. After a couple weeks, things were pretty well settled - we even got the pictures hung on the walls.

But here's where the problem came: once everything was put away, I started my normal routine of cleaning (which took three times as long to get done as at the old house - UGH!). It was during these cleaning episodes that I began to notice the RIDICULOUS amount of grime, dirt, food, dog hair, and who-knows-what-else all over our floors. When we first bought the house, the one thing I wasn't crazy about was the white tile and light wood floor that pretty much covered the entire downstairs. But I told myself that in time, these were things that could all be fixed...

Let me interject here that I am by no means a clean freak. In fact, I'd much rather sit on my couch watching The Bachelorette or Big Brother than get on my knees and scrape nasty stains off my kitchen floor. But every time I turned around my eyes would focus on all the gunk covering it. I would put the vaccuum away and what do you know? More filth! It was never-ending. Of course, I constantly complained to Brad about it, but he gently reminded me that we just bought a new house and eventually we could talk about it.

Then came the turning point... we went over to our friends, Mary and Travis' house, who had just completed tearing up their floors and putting down a beautiful dark wood. As soon as we walked in, I was SOOOOO jealous! It looked amazing and it was exactly the way I wanted our house to look. I mentioned it to Brad, who actually looked equally as impressed. By the time we left their house that night, Brad was sold on the idea of ripping out our floors and putting in some wood!!!

Maybe I should tell y'all that once Brad gets something in his head, he's ready to start. So four days after our night with Mary and Travis, guess who's house turned into a complete disaster area? Yep! Brad and some friends completely tore out all our tile (which was a ton!) over the weekend. Then Brad decided that if we're gonna do it, we might as well be thorough, so he also tore up the yucky colored wood in the family room and the carpet in the office and the dining room as well. Why not, right?

So needless to say, our house looks like a warzone. DUST IS EVERYWHERE!!! I love my husband, but boy would it have been nice if he'd used some drop clothes to cover the cabinets, new couch, etc. He did make sure to cover the tvs though - go figure. For the past three days, I have done nothing but clean dust from every imaginable place in our entire house - including the game room upstairs! I am now quite talented at dusting and washing the walls, individual crayons, boxes of cereal, toy cars, each separate spice in the spice rack, and everything in each kitchen cupboard had to be washed and put back (after I cleaned out the actual cabinets of course!). RIDICULOUS!!!

So the floors are supposed to come in by August 9th, but Mary and Travis have warned us theirs took six weeks before they got them. AHHH! In the mean time, we'll just be as content as can be with our cement floors and dusty feet. Oh, Lord, what have we done???

Love to y'all,
Tracy




2 comments:

nick&abby said...

aha...you crack me up! :) I'm all about the dark wood, though, so good choice! :) You'll be SO glad when it's done...send pictures!

The Terrell Family said...

Boy do I remember doing all that cleaning not too long ago! It will get better...I promise! Remember, it's all worth in the end! Can't wait to see the finished product!