Friday, January 9, 2009

A Special Day

Back in July, we were overwhelmed by family members and friends that donated money to us in Nash's name. Some designated the money to be used towards Tate's college fund, while others gave it to us to help out with expenses. We used some of the money for Nash's grave in Storm Lake, Iowa. However, we also wanted a place where we could "visit" him down here in Texas. That's when we decided we would get a memorial bench made in his memory. Since I am a teacher, we thought that putting it outside of my school would be the perfect place. And after months of planning and preparation, the bench was installed this morning outside the front doors of Brinker Elementary School in Plano, Texas.
It looks absolutely perfect and is exactly what we wanted. And now his name is there for all to see. I am so thankful to my principal for allowing us to do this. The staff at Brinker has been amazing every step of the way and have truly shown an interest in this bench. I am proud to say I work with the most supportive and understanding people on the planet. And I couldn't be happier to share this little piece of Nash with all of them. Thank you, thank you.

As I was taking pictures of the finished product, I couldn't help but get that sinking feeling in my stomach. It kind of hit me again how real this is. I wish there didn't have to be a bench. I wish that five years from now, it was Nash that was sitting outside Brinker by the flagpole, not some bench. But that's not an option, so this will have to do. And I'll take it.

Take care and love to y'all,
Tracy

1 comment:

Val & Carmelita said...

It looks perfect Tracy! It's a beautiful reminder of Nash, somewhere close to home!