Monday, May 11, 2009

Moms

Yesterday was Mother's Day... Mother's Day... A day for families to be together and give thanks for each other. I knew that mine would be very different than last year - I was expecting it... All week I could feel my tension rise as I anticipated another hard day.

I'm not sure if it was all the anticipation and worry that preceeded the day, but once the day actually got here, I was more at peace than I had been over the previous week. I felt a sense of calm and comfort, knowing with all my heart that Nash was all around me. Don't get me wrong, I shed plenty of tears... But I also got through it in one piece.

I am truly blessed that, although I desperately miss Nash, I have Tate to wrap my arms around. I have met so many women along this journey that do not have this comfort... their only child is now in heaven with Nash. For them, my heart breaks. I pray for their peace and for their lonely arms to stop aching. Please say a prayer for all of these mothers.

I wanted to share a poem that a dear friend sent me over the weekend. Unfortunately, she knows my pain all too well and has been living without her precious little boy for over three years now. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you know that shares our pain...

*****
A Mother's Day Wish From Heaven

Dear Mr. Hallmark,
I am writing to you from heaven and though it must appear
A rather strange idea, I see everything from here.

I just popped in to visit your stores to find a card.
A card of love for my mother, as this day for her is hard.

There must be some mistake I thought: every card you could imagine.
Except I could not find a card from a child who lives in heaven.

She is still a mother too - no matter where I reside.
I had to leave, she understands. But oh, the tears she's cried.

I thought that if I wrote you that you would come to know
That though I live in heaven now, I still love my mother so.

She talks with me, and dreams with me. We still share laugher too.
Memories our way of speaking now. Would you see what you could do?

My mother carries me in her heart. Her tears she hides from sight.
She writes poems to honor me, sometimes far into the night.

She plants flowers in my garden - there my living memory dwells.
She writes to other grieving parents, trying to ease their pain as well.

So you see, Mr. Hallmark, though I no longer live on earth,
I must find a way to remind her of her wondrous worth.

She needs to be honored and remembered too.
Just as the children of earth will do.

Thank Mr. Hallmark, I know you'll do your best.
I have done all I can do - to you I leave to rest.

Find a way to tell her how much she means to me.
Until I can do it for myself, when she joins me in eternity.
*****

I'm praying for all the mommies out their missing their babies.

Love to y'all,
Tracy

No comments: