Monday, February 10, 2014

Stunned

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon volunteering at a March of Dimes event in Dallas.  I had a good time meeting other March For Babies team captains and their families.  It's always such great company.  One of the women I met was a super sweet lady from Dallas that had two girls, one of which was born very premature.  She and I talked a lot throughout the afternoon.  One thing she mentioned really struck me, and I wanted to make sure to pass it along to y'all.

While we were talking about our March For Babies experiences, she asked me how we always were able to raise so much money - was it just through family and friends or did we have big donations from companies each year? What was our strategy?  I explained that, for the most part, we are just blessed to have really compassionate, empathic, and supportive family and friends.  And then she said something that made me so, so sad...

"It gets harder to raise money every year.  It's like people have forgotten what we've been through and don't think to help out anymore."

I was stunned.  For lots of reasons, really.  One, because of the fact that she felt her family and friends had moved past what her family had been through.  Two, because I had never even thought of that happening to anyone.  And three, because I have raised over $12,000 towards my book in less than a month due to you, my friends, having done anything but "forgotten."  I truly am in awe every single day that my book is about to turn into a reality.  All because of you.

My biggest, baddest fear is that, because Nash was only here five months, he'll be forgotten.  He barely got a chance to make his mark.  But every single day I am reminded that, not only does he live on in me and my family, but he lives on in all of you as well.  You have lifted this fear from my soul, and I am grateful for that.  And now, because of your generosity, he will be remembered within the pages of my book... a lasting legacy for all to see. 

Love to y'all,
Tracy

No comments: