Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Proud Mama

There's not a day that goes by when a mom doesn't feel proud as she looks at her kids.  And like other moms, I find myself doing this pretty often.  But there are some days that for whatever reason, my heart feels like it's literally swelling with pride.


This week Tate began swimming lessons.  As much as he loves to swim, he's not always very good at participating in organized activities... especially if it's without me, or if it's without any kids he knows, or if it's something that he doesn't feel that confident doing... and let's just say that swimming lessons encompassed all three of these.  So on Tuesday afternoon, I wasn't sure what to expect as we walked into the pool area.  

When they called his name, he went right over (tenatively) and got in line with the rest of the kids.  But I could tell that he was feeling more and more anxious with every minute.  The instructors were very specific about where parents could stand and watch... and it was way off to the side, where the kids wouldn't be distracted by us.  This was a great "rule" on their part, because this way, Tate was sort of "forced" to stay with his teacher and not feel tempted to come over to me. 

For the entire thirty minutes, Tate tried his best to fend off the tears.  His little shoulders were heaving up and down as he attempted to get himself settled down.  But through it all, he stayed in the pool and did everything his teacher asked him to do, including put his face in the water. 

We went back today for his second class.  He was visibly nervous as the class began.  But the teachers welcomed him with open arms and got him right in the pool before he could really resist.  His little face was scrunched up like he was on the verge of tears for the first five minutes or so.   But after that, he listened attentively to his teacher and again did everything that was asked of him... blowing bubbles, playing follow the leader, and floating on his back.  When he got out after class ended, he gave his teacher a big hug and was all smiles.  He told me, "That was fun!"

There are certain things that Tate loves and thrives at doing.  For instance, he lives, sleeps, and eats baseball.  He honestly plays it every single day.  I swear he came out of the womb swinging a bat.  When he's on the field playing, of course, I am proud.  I am beyond thrilled to watch him play something that he truly, truly loves... But I feel a different kind of pride to watch him struggle through something.  To watch him have a little "internal battle" as he forces himself to participate in his swimming lessons, really melts my heart.  Somewhere along the line he's learned self discipline.  He's learned that some things aren't easy, but that they are worth it in the end.  He's learned how to give new experiences a chance.  For all of these reasons, I found myself so incredibly proud of him today.  I love the little boy he is growing up to be.

Love to y'all,
Tracy

No comments: