Thursday, February 28, 2013

Busy, Busy

I feel like I'm in a whirlwind right now.  Actually, let me rephrase that.  I always feel that way about my life, but right now it's on major crazy tornadic whirlwind mode.  Home, work, husband, kids, dog.  You know the drill.  But now that March For Babies is in full swing, things have really heated up... 

I am part of the Family Teams Committee for the Dallas event and we have been having some conference calls and plans are underway to make this year's March the most successful ever.  I was then asked if I could be the guest blogger on BOTH the Dallas March For Babies blog AND the Texas March For Babies blog.  I've already done my first one for the state.  Check it out HERE

In addition, my friend Vi (infant daughter Taryn died in 2009 of an undiagnoed heart defect) and I went to the Capital in Austin a couple weeks ago with March of Dimes to ask Senators and Representatives for support of various bills that would be coming across their desks in the upcoming months.  One such bill, HB 740, is trying to change a statute in order to ensure that babies can be screened for CCHD, Critical Congenital Heart Disease.  This is obviously an issue that is near and dear to our family.  If the bill passes, all babies born in Texas will not be able to leave the hospital without doing a pulse oximetry reading (the little clamp they put on your finger to check oxygen levels).  By doing this, the doctors can detect CCHD before a baby shows signs of the condition, allowing for the proper treatment to be given to prevent disability or death.  Now Texas must add this screening to ensure the safety of our babies. 
A couple days ago, we got an email saying HB 740 is being pushed ahead and is going to be discussed in the next couple weeks.  They are asking us both to come back to Austin to testify during the hearings regarding this bill.  Can you believe it?  We're just a few moms.  Two ladies that met by a common bond... the deaths of our little babies from undiagnosed heart defects.  I am so blown away that our voices are about to be heard.  For Nash, for Taryn, and for all other babies that left this earth much too soon. 

I'll keep you posted on what's going on.  Say some prayers for us to get through to the legislators, so that HB 740 will pass with flying colors.  Let's save some babies!!!

Love to y'all,
Tracy

 

1 comment:

Neecie said...

Tracy,

I am so proud of you. You give all your children so much love and attention. God bless you always and good luck in Austin.