Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Unexpected

Today I've been gathering a big round of donations to put out on the front step tomorrow morning.  It's mostly the very last of the little bitty baby stuff that Brady has now grown out of.  If I find something that's in great shape or that I know will come in handy, I'm putting it aside from my sister-in-law, Emily (Brad's brother's wife), because their first baby is due in the fall.  

I just went through the cabinets of the changing table and found some good stuff for Emily that's been hidden away in there forever.  In fact, not only did I not use any of it with Brady, but I didn't use it with Knox either.  As I was going through it, I found a blue and brown sling that I used just a handful of times with Nash.  I remember exactly the first time I tried to put him in it.  It seemed like it was made for a mom that was a contortionist and my mom and I were laughing hysterically in her kitchen as we tried to get Nash into it.  Once he was in, he lasted only a few minutes before he decided he'd had enough.  And the one time I wore it in public, I took both boys to Costco and had Tate in the cart and Nash in the sling, while we bought tons of diapers and formula.  That was in June of 2008.  I remember it like it was yesterday.

Those are the only times I can remember ever using the sling with any of my kids.  Only Nash.  Two times.  And today I found that sling, tucked away safely in a cabinet, waiting for me.  Needless to say, I teared up at the memories it brought up.  I couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it for four long years.  I held it and smelled it, hoping to get some of Nash's sweet baby scent.  Just holding it in my hands was so comforting... thinking that his skin touched the same fabric.  

I am so thankful for this unexpected gift today.  Things like this don't happen all that often anymore.  There is a part of me that wonders if this is the last one.  Is there really anything like this left?  I don't know.  It's too hard to think like that I guess.  I can just pray that little moments like this will continue to sneak up on me no matter how much time goes by.

Love to y'all,
Tracy

1 comment:

Neecie said...

Tracy,
I remember that day so well. Nash was being very patient with us as we tried to make him comfortable in that sling. We laughed so hard. I am so glad that you found Nash's sling and that you shared this funny memory. I love you and those amazing kids so much. LY